The City of Sterling owns 11 parking lots in the downtown area for permit parking (see table 1). Lots provide a mix of permit only and hourly parking. Additionally. on-street parking in the downtown is free. Permits for parking in the permit lots may be purchased in the City Clerk's office.
Open spaces may be purchased on a quarterly basis, for $15 per month. Spaces are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Those already owning permits do receive first consideration to renew their permits.
Currently, a parking committee is reassing the parking needs and concerns downtown.
|Table 1- City Permit Parking Lots|
|1||56||South of Coliseum (300 block of 2nd St)|
|3||18||SE corner of Brinks Circle|
|4||16||NW corner of Brinks Circle|
|5||13||300 Block of 2nd Avenue|
|6||21||NW Corner of 2nd Street and 2nd Avenue|
|7||20||South of YMCA, 400 block of 1st Avenue|
|9||9||West side of 200 block of 1st Avenue|
|10||7||North side of 3rd Street in the 10 block|
|11||38||NW Corner of 1st Avenue and 4th Street|
|12||13||NE corner of Locust and 5th Street|
|14||5||300 block East of Loccust|
Snow Route Parking
Do You Know Where to Park During a Snow Emergency?
The City of Sterling has adopted a snow parking ordinance. When you hear a public announcement declaring a Snow Emergency, the following parking restrictions will be in effect. Public announcements will be made on WSDR AM, WSSQ FM, WLLT FM radio stations.
STREETS DESIGNATED AS SNOW ROUTES
1. After the announcement has been made, no parking will be permitted on the Snow Route until the snowfall stops and the full-width of the street has been plowed curb to curb.
2. When snowfall stops and the full-width of the street has been plowed curb to curb, normal parking regulations go back into effect.
STREETS WHERE PARKING IS PERMITTED ON BOTH SIDES OF THE STREET
1. On even-numbered calendar days, park your car on the even-numbered side of the street.
2. On odd-numbered calendar days, park your car on the odd-numbered side of the street.
3. Even and odd-numbered day will be considered as beginning between 6:00am and 8:00am. No tickets will be issued between 6:00am and 8:00am.
4. Calendar parking restrictions will be in effect until the snowfall stops and the full-width of the street has been plowed curb to curb. These restrictions will be in effect for at least 48 hours after the Snow Emergency has been declared.
STREETS WHERE PARKING IS PERMITTED ON ONE SIDE OF THE STREET ONLY
1. These parking restrictions remain in effect.
2. Park your car on the street only on the even or odd day corresponding to the side of the street on which parking is lawfully permitted.
3. On the alternate day, your car must be removed from the street to your garage, driveway, or where parking is otherwise permitted.
STREETS WHERE PARKING IS PROHIBITED ON BOTH SIDES OF THE STREET
1. These parking restrictions will remain in effect
2. Parking is still prohibited at all times on sidewalks, in front of driveways and next to fire hydrants, etc.
DOWNTOWN STREETS, PARKING LOTS, AND OTHER SPECIAL SERVICE AREAS
1. All regular parking restrictions remain in effect. Snow Route and calendar parking restrictions do not apply in designated Special Service Areas.
2. No parking is permitted in the Central Business District or in other special service areas designated by signs "No Parking between 1:30am and 5:30am."
Failure to observe these regulations will result in your being issued a ticket and your vehicle may be towed. During any snow or ice event, it is in everyone's best interest if you remove your vehicle from the street to allow for more effective snow removal. Vehicles parked on the street can double plowing time. With your cooperation, these parking restrictions will make snow removal from City streets faster and more efficient, helping to save your tax dollars. If you have any questions, call the Public Works Department at (815) 632-6657 or the Police Department at (815) 632-6640.